There are a lot of MYTHS about Carbon Monoxide. Now get the FACTS!
I have a new furnace...I cannot have a CO problem...
CO can only be from wood burning...
My CO detector hasn't alarmed...I can't have CO...
I just had my furnace cleaned...it has to be OK...
I don't smell anything...
YOU COULD BE DEAD WRONG!
If your Carbon Monoxide detector alarms, who do you call? No, not Ghostbusters. You call the fire department. Or your local Heating Contractor.
Only about 20 percent of fire departments have the proper equipment to test you or your home for Carbon Monoxide. Those are pretty scary statistics. When a heating contractor comes to your home or business to "clean and tune" your heating system, they should be doing a complete Combustion Analyzation Test. But only 30-40 percent of HVAC companies have the proper equipment to test.
What are some of the common sources of CO in a residence?
Most people think that a gas furnace is the only thing in their home that can cause carbon monoxide poisoning. What you do not know CAN HURT YOU! There are many possible sources of carbon monoxide in a home.
Our opinion? Any contractor worth their salt will TEST! If they don't, find a contractor who does. It may cost you an extra $5-$10 for your tune and clean, but your safety is priceless.
Any fuel-burning furnace, INCLUDING BRAND NEW, TOO!
Unvented cooking appliances
Unvented gas fireplace
Wood burning fireplace
Gas, oil, wood or coal furnace
Blocked chimney (birds like to nest here)
Gas clothes dryer
Attached garage (auto exhaust fumes)
Pool and spa heaters
Ceiling mounted unit heater
Fuel burning space heaters
Early Signs of CO Poisoning
If you exhibit any of the following symptoms, and believe that you may have a carbon monoxide problem in your home or workplace, contact your local fire department or local gas utility company.